[at-l] Need input on tent and sleeping bag selections

EHamilton imagainst_the_wind at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 21:31:17 CST 2008

This is very timely for me.... I'm wavering between my 3.5# one-person Eureka! Zephyr tent (not made anymore), and a 1.5# 8 X 10 urethane-coated nylon tarp I bought on a close-out. I'll use one or the other, rather than getting either a new tent or new tarp. I've slept in the tent in rain and down to 28*F, but not in rain or cold with the tarp. Waiting for either one to happen in the next week or so to give it a shot. Starting my thru April 1 (to give you an idea of weather and season I'll be meeting.)

I pitch the tarp like a trapezoid: Stake out the back corners, pull the front corners in narrower and stake, stick in a hiking pole. If you put the pole about 12" in from the edge, you have a beak (you have to guy it out) and doors (have to close them with something, I use binder clips.) It's very roomy pitched like that, especially if you also prop up the back with a short, very light cafe rod. I haven't tried any other pitches. In fact, although I've played with it a lot, I've only slept under it once, and that was in mild weather.

There are so many more things you can do with a tarp than a tent, and given that mine weighs less than half as much as my tent..... I just gotta try all weather.

And I'm wondering about skeeters, ants, etc. coming in. I guess maybe ants sleep at night. (I get a reaction to fire ant bites, but I guess there aren't too many of those on the Trail.) Also wondering about rain coming in under the edges.

You said an 8 X 10 keeps you dry in a rainstorm? How do you pitch it?

Thanks,
MacGyver

From: Bruce W. Calkins blackwolfe at charter.net

 personally, I lean to using a tarp and ground sheet.  Most any plastic works for the ground sheet, something around 2.5 to 3 feet by 7 to 8 feet should work well.  You will use it under your kit in shelters as well as when you use the tarp over night.  The tarp should be at least 8 feet by 10 feet; in my opinion/experience the 6 by 8 is too small to keep you dry in a rainstorm.  8 by 10 will do it for a solo hiker, and provide cramped shelter for two, if needed.  The Campmor syl-nylon tarps work well.  I suggest their #20069-N at 15 ounces.  Don't forget to get silicone seam sealer for the seam.