[at-l] Need input on tent and sleeping bag selections

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 18:20:01 CST 2008

Double check the weight on the Lunar Solo.  I think it is closer to
1.5 pounds than 2.5 pounds.  I have mine here in Guatemala and just
used it for a three day, two night hike from Xela to Lake Atitlan.

I would also check out other options from Six Moon designs as well as
Tarptents and others.  The single wall silnylon tents offer a lot more
space for a lot less weight and they are full tents with bug proof
screening.  They also pack a lot smaller than most of the double wall
options.

As for a bag, stick with a 20 degree bag or else you will be buying a
lighter weight, less warm bag along the way.  You do generally get
what you pay for.  The less expensive down bags are made with a lower
fill number down and will not insulate as well, nor will they last as
long as higher fill number bags. Synthetic bags are much heavier and
bulkier for the same functionality and are genreally unnecessary.
Even if you have allergies to feathers, the higher the fill number
down, the fewer the feathers and the less likely you are to react.
Check out other options as well...  Feathered Friends, Western
Mountaineering, the high fill number options from Marmot (avoid their
600 fill options), and others.

Mara
Stitches, AT99

Visit my Travels and Trails web site at: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor