[at-l] "Walking North" -- original edition on eBay

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 12:28:12 CST 2008

Bids on eBay are by proxy. You put in your maximum bid and the current bid
goes to the next increment. For example, if a prior bidder has entered a
higher maximum bid than the one you submit and the increment is $5 the
current bid jumps to $5 more than your maximum bid. If your bid was higher
than the prior maximum then it goes to $5 higher than the previous high
bidders maximum. The actual increment is determined by a ratio to the
initial bid which is set by the seller. In this case the increment is only
$1. If the current bid jumped from $25 directly to $95 (which it did
according to the bid history) the prior bidder must have submitted a maximum
bid of $94.

Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/