[at-l] cooking containers

Ken Bennett bennettk at wfu.edu
Tue Dec 9 17:14:18 CST 2008

2008/12/9 <vincentw at bellsouth.net>

>   This group is a wealth of information and I really appreciate every
> response.  So here is my story...and I'm sticking to it.  I'm diabetic and
> therefore my gorp has to have a low glycemic index...means it digest slowly
> so my blood sugar does not rise rapidly.  So the base ingrediant can not be
> pasta or rice.  Beans have a low GI....and I won't ask you to share by tent
> / sleeping bag.   But beans take so long to cook.  I'm looking for a metal
> container that I can heat up in the morning and screw the top on and *it
> will not leak*.  Then at night I can reheat the contents after they have
> absorbed water all day and eat.  I'm heating with a MSR pocket rocket.
> Anybody know of such a thing?

Vincent,

It is fairly a common practice to rehydrate dry beans in a Nalgene bottle
(or similar container) with cold water. Then they cook so much more quickly.
A Nalgene does a good job of not leaking, for the most part. If soaking all
day doesn't do it, you might try putting them in the bottle the night
before, and letting them have 24 hours to soak. (Might get a lot of sprouted
beans that way, though.)

Cheers,

Ken