[at-l] Speaking of beans..

Jan Lite liteshoe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 12:45:38 CST 2008

Hey,
Neat trick!
Beans in the winter always seem so hearty.

Here's a classic recipe, if you want to branch out and get a little smoky
broth - I've sure you're clever enough to figure out how to adapt it to the
woodstove.:

"A simple navy bean soup made with ham bone or hocks and navy beans, along
with chopped vegetables.
Ingredients:

    * 1 pound navy beans
    * 2 quarts boiling water
    * 2 ham hocks or a meaty ham bone
    * 1/4 cup chopped onion
    * 1/2 cup chopped celery
    * chopped ham or ham from the meaty bone
    * salt and pepper to taste (I add a little seasoned salt along with
regular)

Preparation:
Wash beans; place in a large bowl and add boiling water. Let beans soak for
a few hours. Simmer ham bone or hocks with the beans until beans are tender.
Remove bones and chop ham. Add chopped onions and celery. Add water to make
about 1 gallon. Add ham meat, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook about 30
minutes longer. Navy bean soup recipe serves 12 or more.

That came from
https://webmail.earthlink.net/wam/msg.jsp?msgid=78233&x=-902266573
but it's basically the same way I've made it for years. A broth/stock made
from simmered bones is very healthy and yummy. I make split pea soup the
same way (only use peas instead of navy beans, of course).

Subject: [at-l] Speaking of beans...

>Earlier this week I made my first-ever pot of navy beans. I only made
half of the bag, though. They turned out alright. Not great, not
>horrible. So, with all the talk the past couple days about beans, I
decided to cook the rest of the bag. I soaked them all day
>yesterday...from about 8 in the a. until about 11 in the p.   Right
before I went to bed (midnight-ish) I put them in this old enamel
>kettle/pot thing I've had for years and quite possibly have never used.
I put in water and salt and pepper and a bit of Smart Balance (fake
>butter).  "Then what did you do, Felix?"  THEN...I put the pot inside my
woodstove/furnace.  I heat my house with a wood furnace and just inside
>the door is a 7 inch (or so) wide lip/panel. I sat the pot on it. This
morning when I got up, the beans were PERFECT. The water was almost
>completely gone...maybe a quarter of a cup could have been poured off.
So, next time (and, yes, there will be a next time) I'll put more
>water.  They were just barely warm enough to eat. So, roughly 8 hours
inside a woodstove is about the right amount of time to make some navy

--
"The Ordinary Adventurer"
A new backpacking adventure book