[at-l] Metatarsal soreness

Doug Mathews mathews at uga.edu
Sun Dec 14 09:59:18 CST 2008

Yo,,,
As a runner, I've has all kinds of issues from the top of my head to
the bottom of my toes. I recently(6-8 weeks ago) developed soreness
on the ball of my right foot and finally decided to visit my
orthopedics place. This was after noticing the toes next to the big
toe was no longer pointing in the right direction. They x rayed it
and told me that the bones from the big toe (I guess the phalanges)
are not doing what they are supposed to do and the bones on the toes
to the right are trying to take up the slack. They gave me some
ointment to reduce swelling and shoes inserts to help get everyone
down there working in concert again.  Too soon to tell if thats it,
but that is my recent experience.  It is not noticeable if I wear
hard sole boots or if I do not run with any speed.
Oh, he did mention that sometimes Achilles tendon tightness can
exacerbate it, but check my flexibility and said it was ok.  That is
the only area that I stretch...calf and Achilles.

My experience....but you have a different tight foot! :-)