[at-l] Storm's a'comin

KGJ jplynch at crosslink.net
Fri Dec 19 10:05:23 CST 2008

We rarely (knock on wood) lose power for any extended time (we're in Virginia) so I've never considered a generator.  But the thought of getting something small to run some lights, the TV, turn on the refrig a couple of hours, has crossed my mind.  But I've never done it just because of the concern of having another motorized thing around (maintenance, keeping gasoline, etc), and even the smaller ones aren't cheap.  We can burn wood to keep sort of warm, candles for some light, we're on "city" water.   We'll lose a couple of ice boxes full of food granted.  The only thing we scramble for is to try to save a couple of pieces of wedding cakes.  And our neighbors have had enough room for those.
But, if we lost electricity for more than 3 or 4 hours, 4-5 times a year, we'd definitely have to look hard at a generator of some sort.  Maybe not whole house, but something.