[at-l] He's doing it again....

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Wed Dec 24 09:43:56 CST 2008

"I should not have got on this flight tonight..."

12/24/98 Mt. Moma's-Davenport Gap, NC

So, ten years ago this morning, a morning a lot like the same morning ten
years ago only warmer, I got up and went in to Mt. Moma's to tell her
thanks for dinner and Merry Christmas. She said, "Well, ya better sit
down and have a cup of coffee." I did. I also had a cup of cake, with a
little Santa on top. We talked for a while. It was very nice. I went
outside, to the payphone, and called Pokey. I hadn't talked to her in
six weeks. Since the day she left the Trail in Linden. It was good to
hear the old girl's voice. I cried. She cried. She said "You're breakin'
my heart here." I suppose. I hung up, turned and walked across the
parking lot in another heavy rain. Emotions were leaking out of my very
existence (I don't even know what that means other than it was an
emotional little walk). Everything was wet and muddy.

I got my Smokys permit at the ranger station and Ranger George gave me a
ride to the Trail. We had a nice chat. His two-way radio kept talking
about roads being closed and how bad the weather was. Kinda exciting. He
let me out and said something like "I'm supposed to tell you you
shouldn't go,
or something. But, I know you won't listen. So, good luck." He smiled. I
headed
into the Smokys. The Trail was covered with chunks of ice the size of
golf balls.
I cranked the Walkman and hiked on. My thoughts were swimming in the
conversation
I had had with Pokey. I wasn't paying attention to much around me other
than the
Rhododendrons that were hanging down on the Trail, covered with ice.

I hiked the .9 miles to Davenport Gap Shelter and stopped for a quick
snack and to
check the register. As I sat there, I heard a God-awful sound. A tree
had come
crashing down just behind the shelter. Actually, it was just the top
half. But, with
the extra weight of the ice, the sound was incredible and intense. I
thought "Wow!!!"
I went back inside the shelter. Another crash. I went back outside and
did a little
closer inspection. It was just then that I realized that I was in the
middle of a full-force ice
storm Every tree was bent, or sagging, because of the extra weight of
the rain and ice.
Trees were popping, exploding. A tree would groan a few times, and then,
at a point nature
chose to be the weakest, it would explode and the top would plummet to
the ground,
ice flying off the branches at impact. It was so cool, and scary.

I decided I wanted out of the shelter. I figured I'd have a better
chance seeing a tree
coming at me from outside. I signed the register and headed up the hill.
The next few
hours were some of the most incredible hours I've ever spent. Watching
nature do her
thing, from the inside, was amazing. Climbing through treetops with
branches covered in
ice as think as your wrist, listening as the next top falls 30 feet in
front, or behind you,
is an indescribable experience. (That's why I'm doing such a poor job of
describing it.)

This went on for nearly two hours. As I climbed higher on the ridge, the
air got warmer,
and the rain remained rain. I could still hear trees falling below me. I
was glad it was over,
but glad that I'd been part of it, too. It rained every step this day. I
took a break at Cosby
Knob and not again until Tricorner Knob Shelter (8 miles later). The
shelter was a mud pit.
It usually is.

Some months after this night, I was sent copies of my register entry
from Tricorner Knob
Shelter. If I can find them, I'll re:upload them so they are bigger
(which won't really help the
readability of them because that'll just mean my poor penmanship is
bigger). Until then, the
pages of that night's entry can be found here (you may have to cut and
paste or type the address
in manually)

http://felixhikes.tripod.com/AT/register1.jpg
http://felixhikes.tripod.com/AT/register2.jpg