[at-l] Anybody got the good stuff....

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Mon Dec 29 10:00:20 CST 2008

Mark Hudson wrote:

> There used to be a deli about a half mile west on Mombasha Rd, but I
> don't see it listed in the Companion anymore, and I would hardly call
> it a "town".

Yeah, Sundown and I spent a bit of time in that deli warming up and
trying to decide if we wanted to trudge on in that 10 inches of snow, or
not. We decided not. We got a ride with a guy whose son was a fireman
who died in the WTCs.  He was a nice guy who will hurt forevermore.  He
took us to highway 17 in Southfields and we waited at a restaurant with
a big apple on its sign.  Whatever girl I was dating at the time picked
us up there.  It seems like there is a fire station across the street
from where the deli is/was a half-mile off the trail. You're right, it's
not much of a town. But, that'd be a great place to leave a vehicle
logistix-wise.

> There's one motel in Warwick... the owner was quite hiker friendly
> when I was covering that section for the Companion. He might let you
> leave a car there, but then you would need to cover the 4-5 miles back
> to the trail.

Sundown and I had a great Sunday morning breakfast in Warwick on that
hike. Got a good hitch with a man in a mini-van who was driving around
so his kids would go to sleep. They were in car seats in the back.  I
HAD to go to town to get some tape to tape my feet back together. The
boots I was wearing were really chewing up my feet. The old man and
woman who gave us a ride back to the trail seemed to REALLY want us to
skip some of the trail. He kept pointing out roads that he could go down
to drop us off further up the trail. No matter, the old man plain and
simply should not have been on the road. Horrible driver.  Sigh.....