[at-l] doing AT without a partner

tanya petrova radamaerl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 11:44:47 CST 2008

Hello, everybody,

my name is Tanya and this is my first message to the list. I've been
dreaming about thruhiking for many years but circumstances did not allow me
to realize the dream. In the mean time, my friend and I did a few good
sections over the course of 4 or 5 summers. We did the Whites, parts of
Vermont and Mass and some NJ. This summer it finally looks like I'll be able
to spend 3 months on the trail. I know it won't be enough to do the whole
thing, but that's fine. I just want to have the biggest part under my belt,
and it'll be easier to find time to finish off the rest in the future.
 Here's my predicament: my friend will not be able to hike with me. So i'll
be doing it alone. I am familiar and fine with lack of comfort, physical
exhaustion, dehydration, and other attractions of the trail, but the one
thing I am seriously afraid of is being alone during the night. So, what
should I do? How does one find a partner?
 I plan on going South to North. The earliest I can start would be in the
second half of May, and by that time all thruhikers will have left Georgia
far behind. Any advice (other than start in Maine)? Does anybody ever start
this late from Georgia?

I am looking forward to any insight,
thank you,
t.