[at-l] More Winter Weather

Art Cloutman Art at crystalacresnh.com
Thu Feb 14 09:06:29 CST 2008

After 2 hours of shoveling snow and ice I've come in for a break.
I'm hoping to finish in time to make it to Gunstock where I am
scheduled to teach a ski lesson at 1:30 PM.  Last week we had five
days of snow varying from 10 inches to a dusting.  Skiing has been
incredibly good with all trails at Gunstock open and covered with
powder.  I have never been able to ski the glades because they are
apt to be open for only one or two days at a time and that is usually
when I have a full teaching load.  But the conditions have been so
good that I was even able to bring some classes through the glades.
 From the top of the mountain Mount Washington and the Whites
practically glow with snow.  Concord, NH has reported an all time
record snow fall and the winter is not over yet.  86.4 inches of snow
have fallen in the capitol area.  We have over 100 inches at Crystal
Lake.  Just a bit north of here they are reporting a total snow fall
of 120 inches.  But yesterday we got blasted with 8 inches of snow
followed by 2 inches of freezing rain and rain.  In order to remove
the snow first you must crack the ice.  Then you can get your shovel
under the snow and lift it.  Now the problem is how to toss it over
the huge snow banks.  The snow on either side of my walkway is over 5
feet high.  The snow banks beside the driveway after the plow came
through are well over 6 feet.  I can no longer see the lake from my
easy chair in the living room, but I can see the mountains thank
goodness.

I've been trying to shovel out my truck.  Last night while it was
still raining I went out and brushed the snow off of my truck and my
wife's car so that it would not freeze the doors closed.  I did not
try to shovel around the vehicles.  Big Mistake!  I compacted the
snow into the water on the ground and now there are huge mounds of
frozen footprints and slabs of ice that I brushed off of the vehicles
as snow but are now frozen to the ground.  I hope I can get the truck
moving on time to teach my ski lesson.

Guess I better get back to it.  I am looking forward to a few more
hours on the slopes.  Hope the groomers are able to soften the ice a
bit on the mountain.

Art
--

Life is Good!!!