[at-l] Leaving for Springer Mar 16

Slim's Mail bogey at toast.net
Thu Feb 21 20:13:18 CST 2008

If all goes well we will arrive in GA on March 17th and begin our thru-hike.
Amtrak has issued new warnings that they will have their security personel randomly search passengers' luggage (backpacks) at the station. There goes our pocketknife, scissors, razor, nail clippers and maybe our Leki's.  Hopefully not. But we will send those items to Neel Gap if we have to.

Presidents day was beautiful. It was actually sunny and warm, almost like spring. It was the first warm, dry day we've had in weeks. We went for a 6 mile walk, came home and loaded the bikes and went for a ten mile bike ride. It felt so good to ride the bikes again. There were a lot of other folks riding by who had the same idea. We sat at one of the pavilions along the trail and talked. This is the same pavilion where, for the past three years we sat each time we rode bikes, and talked about the layoff, the job hunt, our unemployment, losing my mom, plans for the rest of our lives. There were many muddy spots on the bike trail and Slim had mud splashed up her back but who cares? We had fun.

When we got back home the attorney had left a message on the answerring machine and he has my mom's estate almost ready. Just a few signatures on releases and the estate is done.  Its been a long road back. Being an estate executor is a very demanding, time-consuming job. Bogey was a big help. But I thought it would never end. If all my siblings agree to the details of the estate it will be settled very soon. If not, we possibly will not be able to thru-hike this spring.  But are already planning an alternative - a southbound thru-hike starting in June or July.   Word to the Wise: Always have a Plan B.

I can't wait to get back on the trail again and relax my mind. We are looking to go out for 5-7 days in the next week to ten days if we have a weather window open up. Rather not have lots of rain or ice. We've got to get in shape again. Walking on the flat rail trail is not enough of a challenge although it does help a little. Bogey had tendenitis in his right knee that went away after walking two days.

We each lost 15 lb in that first 700 miles we did last year.  We'll have to do it all over again and I don't enjoy that thought. There were some mean hills to climb.  We could pick it up where we left off but then it would not be a thru-hike. We had sectioned the whole trail before so sectioning again would be pointless. We always wanted to do a thru-hike and hope that this year everything works out and we can achieve that goal and have fun doing it.  Thanks for looking at our journals and for all the encouragement you give us. We look forward to meeting other hikers on the Trail and making many new friends.
Slim

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
-Erma Bombeck