[at-l] backpacks for smaller people, was:

Amy Skowronek amy at forinash.net
Sat Feb 23 10:15:32 CST 2008

On Feb 23, 2008, at 10:57 AM, bcwatson wrote:

> I would love to go on a long distance hike (at least a week long).
> I only have a day pack.  I look at the size of packs and damn,
> they're nearly half as tall as I am.  I'm 5'2", 130 lbs…
>
> Should I buy pack made for women?  Do the even make packs
> separately for women? If so, do they even run smaller as a rule?
> If so, how small should I go and still be able to use it for even
> longer hikes where I'm gone for a month?   If I get a pack that's
> too big, then when it's full, won't it weigh too much for me?   If
> I don't fill it up all the way with stuff, what do I do with all
> the empty space…

They do make backpacks for women.  They may or may not be comfortable
for you.  Women's packs are often sized to fit wider hips and
narrower shoulders. I don't think they run significantly smaller in
capacity.  Despite being a woman, I have ended up using unisex packs
as my shoulders are not particularly narrow.

You probably do want to look for a smaller capacity pack so you're
not tempted to overload it.  One of the challenges of being a smaller
hiker is finding light weight gear so you don't kill yourself
hiking.  :)  You can use a smaller pack for long distance hikes, it
just requires more thought than piling all your possessions in a huge
pack.  A gram scale has helped a lot with me, as it is not always
obvious which if my gear is the lightest.

I'm 5'4" and I've had quite a time over the years finding a pack that
fits.  Some of the adjustable internal frames have worked really well
for me.  Those tend to have a sliding adjuster in the middle that you
can shorten or lengthen.  However now I'm just using smaller sized
backpacks - but not daypacks.  They have a fair size capacity.

You need to get your torso measured, and then look at packs based on
that measurement.  Ultralight Adventure Equipment has a nice diagram:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/sizing.htm

ULA and Gossamer Gear (http://www.gossamergear.com/) both have had
packs that I have bought that have been pretty comfy for long hauls.
Both do size down for smaller torsos, as do other manufacturers.
FWIW I'm currently using the Gossamer Gear Mariposa pack.

-amy