[at-l] Backpack Question (Was FOREST SERVICE OUTSOURCING etc.)

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 12:09:55 CST 2008

2008/2/23 bcwatson <bcwatson at hopesanddreams.com>:

>  It's not two "conservative" emails, it's two emails that need to be on a
> politics list-serv somewhere not on a hiking list-serv that already accounts
> for the majority of one's email to wade through looking for something of
> value…  Where's the news I can actually "use"?
>
> I would love to go on a long distance hike (at least a week long).  I only
> have a day pack.  I look at the size of packs and damn, they're nearly half
> as tall as I am.  I'm 5'2", 130 lbs…
>
> Should I buy pack made for women?  Do the even make packs separately for
> women? If so, do they even run smaller as a rule?  If so, how small should I
> go and still be able to use it for even longer hikes where I'm gone for a
> month?   If I get a pack that's too big, then when it's full, won't it weigh
> too much for me?   If I don't fill it up all the way with stuff, what do I
> do with all the empty space…

For web sites try a Google search on "fitting a backpack". I did that and
got 303,000 hits. You might also hook up with a hiking club near you for
advice.

If you want to go it on your own try this: figure out what you need to go on
the hike you want to take, gather it all together (a big laundry bag will
do) and trot yourself off to the nearest outfitter with all the stuff you
plan to take. Yes, they make packs for shorter torsos (don't have to be
female to be shorter) as well as longer than average ones plus many packs
are adjustable. Get one of the staff who has experience to help you find a
pack that holds your stuff and fits you properly. Walk abound the store for
a bit with it loaded before you commit. Then get out and hike.

>  There's been a lot of emails here about news of possible interest to
> hikers that isn't directly hiking related.  Has everyone on this list hiked
> so much that they know it all and don't need to ask for more info anymore?
> No one thinks to share with the noobs that are hanging around hoping to
> learn something….?

There are a lot of long time hikers here and plenty of answers available but
we don't know who's lurking or what they'd like to know. We tend not to
discuss specifics of interest to newbees (especially in winter when most of
us aren't hiking) and because this is a group of longtime efriends we
"chatter" usually avoiding hot topics like politics. Apparently it is time
for the occasional reminder to lurkers hoping to learn something that the
best way to learn is to ask. Ask, ask, ask. You'll get more than one opinion
but that's life. In the end you have to decide which advice fits you best.

> Maybe I need a mentor to "school" me…  and not this place.
>
> I don't care who anyone is going to vote for.  I do care that they vote.
>
> Any answers to my "backpack" questions above would be greatly appreciated
> as would links to sites that have backpack primers on them.  But please
> change the subject of your email accordingly…

You have my answer. I'm sure others are forthcoming. Welcome to the list
Barry and happy hiking.

--
Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/