[at-l] Politics & the List

Bror8588 at aol.com Bror8588 at aol.com
Sat Feb 23 17:30:32 CST 2008

In a message dated 2008-02-23 13:44:57 Eastern Standard Time,
bogey at toast.net writes:

Without  Politics entering as usual, what is your response to the
report of forest  Civil Service jobs being outsourced? What benefits or
problems will the  people reap from this change?

Politics is unavoidable.  It is the philosphy of how we wish to be  governed
that determines if we are Conservative, Liberal, or somewhere in  between.
Some would like a stripped down government with no intrusion into  people's
lives and others wish to have the benefits of governmental involvement  while
eschewing the responsibility of living with purpose and intention.   Just look at
those who litter the AT with their garbage.  Volunteers pack  out loads of
stuff each year.  Others actually accept the concept of "Leave  no trace" and
make their purpose one of intending to beautify and not sully the  trail.

There are some philosophies that maintain that private oversight is the
judicial use of funds to maintain our trails and forests and wooded  places.  Of
course, when that happens it is important to set the parameters  of care in the
contracts or the private companies will attempt to cut expenses  to make
their contracts lucrative.  If money can be saved that cannot be  bad but then
there are those in government who "earmark" budget items that will  ruin the
economy and there is at least one candidate who has pledged to veto  earmarks.
Perhaps he will carry through with that promise but then again,  promises are
merely promises.

Those who think that your money is the government's money (The Irs =  THEIRS)
and are now even thinking of taxing the "windfall" of savings so that  those
who are in their country without going through the immigration process set  up
to allow a variety of nationalities to come to our shores and become
citizens, can receive assistance rather than requiring them to go back to their
nation of origen for help and direction and benefits.  OK -- those who are
English and Grammar people can edit that if they feel a need. The point is that
some people in government want your money.  And not necessarily for the
establishment and maintenance of Trails.

Those who are Libertarian may be opposed to any government involvement in
providing stuff that we have come to enjoy such as Public Libraries, Maintenance
 of Trails, and a host of other benefits.

Is politics "Trail Related?"  Of course it is.  The philosohpy of  government
determines how we will live out our lives.

What do you think?

Jack Skylander

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)