[at-l] More....again

Carla & Dave Hicks daveh at psknet.com
Thu Jan 17 10:07:39 CST 2008

I feel the same way.

The case that really highlighted that for me was the murder of Julie Williams
and Lollie Winans near the AT in the Shenandoah back in '96.

In most of the press they were the "AT Murders."  They weren't "Skyland Lodge
Murders" -- although that were they eat and spent time there just before their
death.  They weren't "National Park Murders" although they had hiked a number
of other trails in the SNP.

Few newspapers  mentioned that in the previous year (1995), there had been 15
homicides in National Parks.  However, many contained a blurb near the end
like the following:

"They were the eighth and ninth people killed in the past two decades along
the Appalachian Trail. "In three of those cases, they were double-murders: six
incidents, nine murders," the ATC's Brian King was quoted as saying by the
Associated Press.

"In 1988, a man frightened two women off the trail and shot them, killing one,
in south-central Pennsylvania. Two years later, a man and his fiancée were
shot to death as they slept in the Thelma Marks Shelter on the A.T. south of
Duncannon, Pa.

"In May 1981, a man and a woman hiking from Maine to Georgia were killed in a
remote cabin near Pearisburg, Va.  A Wisconsin woman was hacked to death by a
hiker with a hatchet in Tennessee in April 1975. A 26-year-old man was killed
at a shelter in Georgia in May 1974."

Chainsaw