[at-l] Windmills on tall buildings

Kent Gardam kent_gardam at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 10:11:30 CST 2008

Amy,

  It all depends on your perspective.  My Dad was an electrical power engineer and worked for the local utility company.  Whenever we used to go on vacation trips, somewhat like Andrew he would point out all the substations and high voltage power lines to Mom, my sister and I.  He loved that stuff but it used to drive my Mom nuts!

  Kent Gardam

Amy Skowronek <amy at forinash.net> wrote:

On Jan 23, 2008, at 10:22 AM, Andrew Claus wrote:

> I know I'm in the minority, but wind machines (and power lines, for
> that matter) don't bother me as much as they do most other hikers.
> It's a hard-to-loose professional fascination, I guess. I was
> frankly surprised at the opposition in the hiking community to a
> "green" source of energy. But I understand many more of the
> factors after reading posts and listening to people. It's great
> hikers are getting involved and being heard, and helping affect
> local decisions.

FWIW they never bothered me either. I think I'd like them more than
some of the other scenic interruptions we get now, like the
electrical power lines marching across the mountains.

I think they should be painted like huge flowers, personally. :)

-amy