[at-l] my impressions of PA Ruck 2008

Amy Skowronek amy at forinash.net
Tue Jan 29 11:06:55 CST 2008

Arriving Friday:  10 people in kitchen having a good time.  I see
many people I know and get hugs.
Later:  Beautiful stars.  Sitting around a campfire in the dark.
More hugs.  Tricks shows me something beautiful.  (In the fire, you
perverts.)

Saturday:  Breakfast, cooked by saints who got up early.  More hugs.
Coffee.  Hiking, then a mad scramble to get lunch ready.  Felix and I
do dishes until our hands fall off.  (If anybody finds them, I'd like
mine back.)  Mad scramble to fry many turkeys.  I watch naked turkeys
do inappropriate things in the hands of Stonewall.  A cute dog gets
scritchies.  100 people manage to fit in a small room for tuckerizing
and thruhiker discussion.  Marsha lets me be first in line for dinner
on account of how I'm now handless.  Felix starts doing dishes
again.  I look at him in horror, then sigh and pick up a dishrag
again (with my stumps.)  Later, more campfire.  This time Matthewski
has set out a beautiful arrangement of candles in the woods.  Me and
my stumps are tired so we go to bed early.

Sunday:  I wake up and eat breakfast while wearing my champagne
jammies.  I suddenly remember I was supposed to take pictures of the
ruck to show my SO.  I finally get a picture of the dog while
attempting to take a picture of me and 1 Pint together.  After last
hugs, Delee and I get in the car and once again manage to get lost
leaving the Ruck.  (I have never yet taken the same way home as the
way I took there.)  We settle all the world's major problems in
conversation on the way home.  Back in Maryland, I greet my ecstatic
low-rider dog and then take a nap.

I had a wonderful weekend.  You guys are the best bunch of people in
the world.  :) I laughed so much that Monday morning my tummy muscles
were sore.

-amy