[at-l] Up-date

Carla & Dave Hicks daveh at psknet.com
Thu Jul 24 15:42:33 CDT 2008

Some of you know that I had a heart event.  Thought I'd bring you up-to-date
and let the rest know what's going on, w/ me.

The Doc is calling it an "event" not an "attack" -- as I didn't have any heart
muscle die (or something like that).

The cardiac catheterization showed that there were blockages in the 50% to 55%
range.

The good news is that I'm back home w/o any re-plumbing et al. They are
relying on better living through chemistry -- up to a 70% blockage. For that I
am very thankful -- albeit I am on reduced activity, until further notice.

But I don't know where this is going. I had an annual physical three weeks
before the event and all the numbers were great. Cholesterol and
Triglycerides were well down into the good range. The ratio of good to bad was
good. I an active for a 68 year old and the "standard" tread-mill stress test
was good.

After the "event" another stress test was very good (electrocardiogram-wise).
I went well beyond the target heart rate, for my age.  It took me farther,
steeper, and faster to get up to the target heart rate than it typically takes
a man 30 years younger than I am -- w/o the ekg showing any problems. However,
this one was a nuclear dual isotope stress test.  The post treadmill pictures
showed reduced blood flow --  which was later confirmed by the cardiac
catheterization.

It this point I am relieved, but still confused.

I'm scheduled for more test and on two new Rx's. (I am now taking 12 different
meds a day (some twice a day) -- between the heart, lungs, knees, hands,
shoulders, etc.)

Chainsaw

PS -- For a couple of folk who asked, I asked the Doc about C-reactive
protein.  His reply was that CRP is a general marker for inflammation and
infection, in general -- so it can only be used as a VERY ROUGH proxy for
heart disease risk. Since many things can cause elevated CRP, this is not very
good as indicator of just heart problems -- especially for folk with know
inflammations like Chronic Asthmatic Bronchitis, Arthritis, Bursitis,
Stenosing Tenosynovitis, etc.  However, he is charting it to determining  the
progress of treatment to reduce inflammation, in general.