[at-l] CCD & Beer

Carla & Dave Hicks daveh at psknet.com
Mon Jun 2 08:14:55 CDT 2008

I know that this is off topic for hiking.  But I know that there are other
beekeepers here and that there is some interest in CCD among other members.
Also, I think there is some interest in beer.

So, here is a tidbit.

dave

Quote:

DUNDEE BREWING COMPANY HELPS THE HONEY BEE, and CCD

 From The Beer Advocate

Rochester, NY (May 2008) - Honey bees are disappearing. While the
root cause is still unknown, the fact remains that up to one-third of
the food we eat--including fruits, vegetables, and nuts--requires
honey bees for pollination. Given the vital role of the honey bee in
not only our food supply but also the economy, Dundee Brewing Company
has initiated its Dundee "Save the Honey Bee Program."

The program is designed to bring attention to the plight of honey
bees and support research efforts to eradicate the mysterious Colony
Collapse Disorder (CCD). In 2008, a portion of every Dundee beer sold
in the U.S. will be donated to the Foundation for the Preservation of
Honey Bees.

This initiative comes on the heels of Dundee Brewing Company's recent
announcement that it will be refreshing the look of all its Dundee
Ales and Lagers this summer to more closely reflect the brand's craft
heritage, as well as the individuality, personality, and flavor of
each craft beer.

"Dundee Honey Brown--the Dundee flagship brand--is made with natural
honey, making the plight of the honey bee a real cause for concern
for us," said Patrick Magallanes, vice president of marketing, Dundee
Brewing Company. "But the issue of CCD extends beyond the honey
supply. Local farmers throughout the country are faced with the
possibility of losing crops, which ultimately affects the livelihood
of local economies. That's why Dundee Brewing Company is committed to
raising awareness and supporting this issue through the sale of its
Dundee brands."

Working closely with retailers around the country, Dundee Brewing
Company is supporting the Dundee "Save the Honey Bee Program" with a
full range of materials designed to raise money and drive awareness
around CCD. This includes national point-of-sale--as well as regional
point-of-sale--materials that are customizable, allowing grocery
retainers to tie in farmers from their own local areas, such as apple
growers in New York or almond growers in California.

In addition, Dundee Brewing Company has developed a range of
on-premise support items designed to call attention to the issue of
CCD and to encourage the purchase of Dundee products as part of the
solution. This includes t-shirts, temporary tattoos, coasters,
posters, and table tents. The company has also launched a website,
www.dundeeforthebees.com, which serves as the main educational tool
for the program and an avenue for consumers to get involved through donations.

"The issue of CCD cannot be solved with one masterful stroke. We need
ongoing research to help us uncover the mystery behind the plight of
our honey bees," said George Hansen, chairman of trustees, Foundation
for the Preservation of Honey Bees. "We are grateful to organizations
like Dundee Brewing Company for donating the resources that will
allow us to fund continuing CCD research efforts as well as other
needed programs."

For more information, please visit www.dundeeforthebees.com/press.

About The Foundation for the Preservation of Honey Bees
The Foundation for the Preservation of Honey Bees is a charitable
research and education foundation dedicated to preserving and
protecting honey bees to ensure a quality food supply and
environment. Sponsored by the American Beekeeping Federation, the
foundation provides educational opportunities to help advance public
appreciation of honey bees, advance the beekeeping culture, improve
pollination, and conserve biodiversity. For more information on the
foundation, visit www.honeybeepreservation.org <
<http://www.honeybeepreservation.org%3e/>http://www.honeybeepreservation.org>
.

About Dundee Brewing Company
Dundee Brewing Company is part of High Falls Brewing Company. Founded
in 1878 as the Genesee Brewing Company, High Falls Brewing Company is
based in Rochester, New York, and is the seventh largest brewer of
beer in the United States. It is also one of the largest and oldest
continually operating breweries in the U.S. High Falls is best known
for its historic Genesee line of brands as well as its Dundee Ales &
Lagers family of craft brands which includes the Original Honey Brown
Lager. Through its Allied Brands division, High Falls is also
America's exclusive distributor of several imports, including
Steinlager from New Zealand and Tooheys New from Australia--and also
distributes Imperial from Costa Rica. The company also has brand
rights for Seagram's coolers and Smooth products and serves as a
contract brewer for many well-known U.S. craft vendors.

The message brought to you be Bee Culture, The Magazine Of American
Beekeeping   <http://www.BeeCulture.com>www.BeeCulture.com
EndQuote