[at-l] Hiking the AT using a car

Carla & Dave Hicks daveh at psknet.com
Mon Jun 9 10:47:57 CDT 2008

Curtis

I've never heard of a way to do it solo with ONE vehicle.

The Old RidgeRunner describes the classic "actually walking in one direction
while moving in the other direction" -- using TWO vehicles.  I've did it once
solo for a moderate section -- Pennsylvania.  Made resuply a breeze.  You are
independent of others' time-lines and schedules. This was pre-cell phone, so
there was no pressure to keep a schedule, myself, because a shuttle would be
waiting, etc. If you do it, make a game out of not explaining what you are
doing, as you keep meeting the same hikers (who are walking & hiking in the
same direction.)  It's fun to watch them recognizing, guessing, and working up
to ask.  At the end, I sold the "second" pick-up for more than I paid for it,
including taxes.  But, then it was a junker.

BTW -- If you solo, you need three vehicle and drivers to set it up at the
beginning of the hike, unless a someone walks home/catches a bus/etc. -- one
driver for each vehicle you will be using, plus someone with a vehicle to
drive whoever drove your second vehicle to the hike-back-to-point and left it
there.  Generally, folk I have know to do this routine aren't solo, and there
is no need for the third vehicle.

BTW2 -- Also generally, folk I have know to do it, tend to do a fair amount of
motel nights.  I did less that my other Pennsylvania hikes.

Pennsylvania has lots of road crossings, for the most part the AT parallels
roads (i.e., no BIG round-abouts from one trailhead to another) and parking
was not much of a problem.  I wonder about the additional issues in more urban
areas (NJ/NY) and in somewhat remote places like Maine where road access can
be more challenging.

Chainsaw

 BTW -- if stamina is an issue, you might also consider one of the alternative
schedules listed on the ATC site -- for a slower, less vertically challenged
start.