[at-l] Road access to AT [was Re: Hiking the AT using a car]

Linda Patton lpatton at fsu.edu
Mon Jun 9 22:50:45 CDT 2008

The book has only 73 major AT road access points, so some are
quite far apart.  As Pittsburgh could attest, a whole lot more than that
exist.

Just as a for-instance, the AT road crossing at Brown Gap, the one
on Max Patch Road, the short walk from the parking lot up to the AT
on Max Patch, the AT access at Lemon Gap, and the road at Garenflo
Gap are not in there.  Just Davenport Gap off of I-40 at the south end
of that section and then again at Hot Springs on the north end.  Big
difference, and it's like that the entire length of the Trail.

The five books in the "Exploring the Appalachian Trail" series are very
good for finding the access points to the Trail, as they're written for
people out to hike 'pieces' of the Trail.  So I would recommend them
for rfinding oad access points. I've actually used them a LOT in my
section-hiking days and loved them.  Hats off to the authors.

It would take a huge book to list every access point.  Don't know if
Pittsburgh has an actual list from the Slackpacking Tours days.  It
would be a major chore to compile one.  Maybe something I should
attempt when I can't do anything else?  Or something Pittsburgh
could do and sell as a money-maker?  I wonder if anyone at ATC
already has a compiled list?  (how about it Laurie P.?)

~~ eArThworm