[at-l] More Winter

Art Cloutman Art at crystalacresnh.com
Sat Mar 1 05:48:16 CST 2008

2/29/08
Backpacking would be extremely hazardous around here, NH, the past
couple of days.  Yesterday, the high temp was around 20 degrees with
not a cloud in the sky.  Skiing was absolutely fabulous with 10
inches of freshly fallen snow that was groomed then an additional 4
inches of velvet white flakes fell to cover the corduroy grooves of
the grooming machines.  Mount Washington could be seen as a big white
puffy marshmellow  50 miles to the north.  The radiation from the sun
made it feel much warmer but when the sun dropped below the peak of
Gunstock Mountain around 3:00 PM it got cold very quickly.  When I
got up this morning the thermometer read negative 20 degrees.  By
noon it had reached the high for the day of positive 10 degrees.  It
still feels warmer because of a cloudless sky.  I had to stay home
from work - if you want to call teaching skiing work - to shovel off
roofs because we are expecting another 10 inches of snow tonight.  I
lost count of the total snow fall at 100 inches.  We must have close
to 120 inches by now and the snowiest month - March - is just about
to start.    Our snow plow guy came with a front loader yesterday to
try and push the snow back away from the driveways.  We have mounds
of snow 12-15 feet tall in the yard.  Our beautiful view of Crystal
Lake - Jan has seen it she knows how pretty our view is - is totally
blocked by a wall of snow.   oh well back to the roof for another
couple of hours.  I'ld rather be skiing or hiking.

--

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman