[at-l] Yankee or Dixie

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 20:24:33 CST 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 7:36 PM, Carla & Dave Hicks <daveh at psknet.com> wrote:

> Maybe somewhere a milkshake is milk with a syrup added such as chocolate
> or
> strawberry.  Not where I grew up.   Milk with chocolate or strawberry add
> was
> chocolate or strawberry milk.  Milk with ice cream and syrup added is a
> milkshake.
>
> Some places ice cream soda might be soda water with just ice cream added.
> Some includes soda water and syrup with just ice cream added.
>
> OTOH, soda water with ice cream added might be a float.  If it had any
> flavor
> in the "coke" whatever flavored "coke", it was a float.
>
> Chainsaw

There is a  local ice cream parlor/restaurant that  serves "egg creams"
which I understand is a NYC thing. They contain neither eggs nor cream. They
are made from chocolate syrup, seltzer and milk.

> BTW -- Who else remembers when cokes, sodas, etc were fountain drinks --
> not
> bottled (or later canned).  The jerk could invent all kinds of
> combinations.
> In someways my kids reinvented that with canned drinks and called the
> suicides.

The soda jerk making up his own concoction is how Dr. Pepper came into
being.

--
Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/