[at-l] trip report: Damascus to 601

rockdancer97 at comcast.net rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 6 16:19:03 CST 2008

My Saturday hike plans were changed on the fly when we (pudscrawler & I) saw the 4 inches of snow at Elk Garden. I was going to hike from there, over Thomas Knob, to (maybe) Dickie Gap, with a night at Wise Shelter.

Instead I opted for the lower elevations, starting at Damascus, night at Saunders Shelter, and out at 601, the road crossing after Summit Cut. Some might remember this crossing as the one with the red brick house, but alas the red brick house is no more.

My hike began just before noon, crawling up the stairs from the Creeper Trail. No I didn't actually walk from MRO, but shortcut a bit on the mileage. Hey, this is my first overnight trip since last June! The temps were mild, and the snow appeared only in the shadowy pockets or N side of the trail. My first trail person was a surprise, just before I started the long (as in 12 switchbacks) ascent of Straight Mountain near the end of my day. The first I saw was a blur of two dogs heading for my throat, well not really but that's what I imagined. I held off these two standard poodles with my hiking poles, and yelled looking for the owner. As I waited one of the poodles growled at me - no kidding. He was a 62 y o mechanical engineer from Bristol, TN just getting some exercise. He had walked up from the last road crossing to get a view of Whitetop, which by the way was gleaming white in the sunshine. He said the dogs probably didn't like the hiking sticks, or was it the beard, the pack,
etc...

I got settled in a Saunders Sh., off the trail by .25 miles. Got my waterbag filled and started supper around 6 pm. At about 6:05 two boys about highschool age came by asking "where is the shelter?" Since I was sitting in the shelter I looked around and said "here!" After a bit I figured out what had happened. Early that day they had started at Damascus heading to Lost Mtn. Shelter, a distance of about 12 miles for them. After they had passed the sign for Saunders Sh. they continued until they hit the Creeper Trail. Not seeing the white blazes they didn't know which way to go so they returned up the mountain to me. Since sunset is around 6 PM these days they had enough daylight to descend Straight Mountain heading S, and then jump on the Creeper to walk their way back to Damascus. About 22 mile day for them. One of the boys is starting in ME on June 4 to do a southbound thruhike. I mentioned he may want to bring maps, but suggested not bringing the GPS he's already bought.

A quiet night at Saunders otherwise. Barred owl hooted a lot, he was so loud he must've been in the pines just outside the shelter. The night was clear, and cold. After shivering for awhile I brought out my rainfly and used it as a second groundcloth under my pad. It made quite a difference and I slept very well afterwards. A raven croaked me awake, about 8 AM.

On the trail by 10 AM, back to my usual AT schedule, I was surprised to see so much snow and ice in the woods and on the trail. Sometimes the ice was between the leaves, so not apparent until I stepped and slid. Had some lunch nearby the Creeper, just before the long, high bridge. Made it to Lost Mtn Shelter about 1:30 and stayed until 2 PM. The story of the Lorax is still written out on the inside wall of the privy, I had been here last around Nov. 1, 2006. Read the shelter register and then headed out for the last 3 miles to meet pudscrawler at the appointed time.

A nice leg-stretching hike, with a restoring night sleeping at the shelter. I need some new boots, perhaps some new insoles and I think I want to start carrying an mp3 player. But for now, for this hike the views & sounds along the trail were plenty interesting just by themselves.

Entries at Saunders Shelter:
2/6/08 - Viking, NoBo (4 - 5 weeks to reach Harpers Ferry)
2/24/08 - Giant, Crazy Diamond, Steamer and Caveman 700 BC - all want to thank Dot's Cafe for the wonderful time and special thanks to Lone Wolf.

Entries at Lost Mtn Shelter:
1/10/08 - D. Bone heading north
1/13/08 - Jonathan Yoder
2/18/08 - Red Bird (from AK) and Mountain Flower
2/25/08 - Shine on Crazy Diamond, Giant, Steamer, Caveman 700 BC - all NoBo
2/29/08 - Sgt. Rock (from Whiteblaze) on a slack pack to Damascus from Summit Cut.

That's it. --RockDancer