[at-l] Tents

Ken Bennett bennettk at wfu.edu
Fri Mar 7 15:17:52 CST 2008

>    I used a bivi for many years and own a nice Speer Hammock and I see
> many lightweight tent tarp models that are very low and do not offer
> setting upright room. I am not interested in those. I guess the Nomads
> have really spoiled me. What are folks using now days.

Chase,

I don't own one, but people seem to like the Tarptent Rainbow for a solo
tent. Plenty of room to sit up and hang out, and even squeeze an extra
person inside if necessary. I think it's around 2.5 pounds. There is also a
Double Rainbow for two people.

I use a Tarptent Rainshadow, which is a 3-person tarptent, and actually fits
three normal-size humans. It's even better with 2 people. Also about
2.5pounds. Excellent sitting room, but only in the front center. Our
Rainshadow
has held up well to several years of abuse.

Six Moons Designs makes a 2-person Lunar Duo, similar to the Double Rainbow
but possibly with more interior volume and sit-up room.

Hope the 310 days go quickly for you.

--Ken