[at-l] Maps

Gary Roberts GRoberts at npr.org
Wed Mar 12 11:57:02 CDT 2008

1.	Map/compass
2.	extra food
3.	shelter
4.	fire/lighter/matches
5.	first aid
6.	pocket knife
7.	water filter/bottles
8.	extra clothes
9.	flashlight/headlamp
10.	sunscreen/glasses

________________________________

From: Leslie Booher [mailto:lbooher at charter.net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:33 PM
To: Carla & Dave Hicks; Gary Roberts; Steve Landis; AT-list
Subject: Re: [at-l] Maps

Two things.

(1)  Isn't a map one of the 10 essentials that we're not supposed to go
out without?  Quick, name the other nine!  <G>  And how many of the 10
essentials do we carry?

(2)  I have often found that the hardest map to find is the one between
the state highway map and the trail map, IOW, the one that will take us
through county roads to the trail heads.  Sometimes, that can be an
arduous task.  One quick example is getting from 19E to Hughes Gap at
Roan Mt.  It's not necessarily intuitive.

a'bear