[at-l] Let the Adventure Begin!!

Caleb Bartley calebbartley at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 11:03:57 CDT 2008

Good morning!

Well, tomorrow my wife and I head out towards Georgia and then to Springer
Mountain and the start of this grand adventure.  We've packed, dehydrated,
and trimmed down everything that we're going to and so it's time to go!  =-)

We've launched a Google Group for the occasion called "Caleb and Jodi" that
you can use to follow our progress if you like.  It works the same way as a
Yahoo Group so you can either set yourself up to receive emails whenever we
post or you can just check in from time to time when you feel like it.  You
don't need a Gmail account to register, so you can keep using whatever email
address you already prefer.

http://groups.google.com/group/calebandjodi

When we realized that we would have the time and opportunity to hike the
entire 2,000+ miles of the Appalachian Trail, we decided right away that we
wanted this journey to be about more than just our own experiences.  So, we
are using this as an opportunity to raise money for the Susan G. Komen
Foundation, which is the leading non-profit in the fight against breast
cancer.  Jodi's mom and two of my aunts are recent survivors, so this is an
issue that's near and dear to us.

We are encouraging anyone who is interested to email us with a pledge of
$0.01, $0.05, $0.10, $0.25, or $1 per mile hiked.  We will keep updating our
website of how far we've come so people can see how much you all have helped
us raise.  At the end of the trip, we'll contact everyone who pledged with
our total miles hiked (around 2,170 if we finish) and then the checks can be
made out directly to the Komen Foundation for that tax deduction as an added
bonus.  Of course, if anyone wants to forego the per mile sponsorship, we
would gratefully accept a donation to the Komen Foundation in any amount.
More information on the organization and its mission can be found below.

http://cms.komen.org/komen/index.htm

Whether or not you choose to pledge anything, we hope you'll check in to our
site from time to time and send us an email when you get a chance.  We'll
reply as often as possible.

All the best!
Caleb