[at-l] The kindness of hikers

Arthur Gaudet rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 19 15:03:57 CDT 2008

So,

I returned from my last little backpack with one little item on my list.

-Do not go hiking with the Whisperlite stove!

I found out that my trusted shaker jet stove (not the Internationale) has
cracked plastic all around the pumper mechanism. This is certain to cause
problems if I rely on it any longer. Being a cheap hiker I'd like to resort to
one of two options. Those with useful knowledge, please weigh in. Others, well
just be yourselves <g>

Option 1: Whisperlite now makes a newer version of the pump, with better flame
control for the older Whisperlites. This control was previously only available
on the newer Dragon model. $35 new at REI.

Option 2: A good hearted hiker who no longer uses his/her Whisperlite has a pump
that's in better shape than mine. I'll offer something in return to make it an
agreeable bargain.

Both the new pump ($35) & brand new Whisperlites  ($69) are available retail.

Ebay also has both for sale, but they are nearly as much paying retail & then
they add shipping. Not much of a deal. (I'm a little surprised at the bidding on
all the items. Whisperlite's are still very much in demand!)

Thanks gang, Arthur aka RockDancer