[at-l] The kindness of hikers

Felix J athiker at smithville.net
Wed Mar 19 16:00:04 CDT 2008

Carla & Dave Hicks wrote:
> Boy that brings back memories of the cold-freezing-rain-on-top-of-snow winter
> night, quite a few years ago, when an "O" ring in mine gave out.

which reminds me of this...if I may...

The O-ring

I was staring at the o-ring so intently that I couldn't see it. Just as
it was about to slide over the shaft, my knife slipped. The knife
tumbled to the table, and the o-ring rolled off the end of the table and
to a point on the ground I never located. I had been working on that
stove for three hours. I didn't care anymore.

 As I rolled my eyes and shook my head in angered relief, I could hear
someone hiking down the approach trail to the shelter. I'm no choirboy,
but what I thought I heard would have made a trucker blush. As the sound
got closer, it became more apparent that the source of this
profanity-filled clatter was unaware of my presence.

 I could see curls of cigarette smoke rising above the trailside
rhododendrons before I could see him. When he finally emerged from
behind his evergreen cover, he was somewhat surprised to see me sitting
there. I was surprised to see that he was hiking, and talking, alone. He
was making a lot of noise.

 "Hey!!! How ya doin'?" he said, like an obnoxious politician. He was
very loud.

"Hangin' on. How 'bout you?" I replied.

"Never better, my boy. Never better. That little climb'll get your blood
moving, won't it?" he asked between smoker's coughs. He walked past the
table to the shelter. He took his pack off and leaned it against the
shelter wall. He was very loud.

"I'm headed south. It'll be a downhill for me tomorrow."

"South? Who goes south?" he chuckled.

"Me and mine, I suppose," I said, almost angry that he'd question one's
choice of direction. Especially one he had known for a total of 25 seconds.

"I hear ya. Goin' south beats not goin' at all, don't it?"

I watched as he started going through the pockets on his pack, mumbling
to himself all the while. He would unzip and zipper and cuss at the
contents. He was a big guy, with a pack to match. He had lots of pockets
with contents to cuss at.

 He stopped searching his pack long enough to light another cigarette.
His  6'1" frame sat on the edge of the shelter floor. His feet, covered
with tennis shoes but no socks, swung back and forth on the end of
skinny, white legs. I wondered how those legs could hold up a man that
size, with a pack that size.

 I had grown tired of breathing the white gas fumes from my dismantled
stove. I decided it was time to do something other than what I was. I
got up and walked to the shelter. Just as I got there, he found what
he'd been looking for.

 "There you are," he said. He turned to me and held his hand out. "Here
ya go. That oughta do it."

"Do what?" I said, leery of him and what was in his hand.

"Fix your stove. That's your stove, ain't it?"

 He was handing me an MSR repair kit, complete with three sizes of
o-rings and a special tool for putting them on. I looked at the pieces
of what had been my stove before I tried to do a bit of preventive
maintenance. I've never been good at doing things to keep things that
aren't broken from breaking. This time was no exception. Before I knew
it, he had my stove together and purring along as well as an MSR can.

 He went about the business of getting ready for the night. He put a pot
of water on the stove for dinner and started telling me his life story
as he blew up an oversized air mattress. He would blow a puff or two of
air into the mattress, wease a bit, tell me about the job he had when he
was twenty-two, then blow another puff or two into the mattress.

 The more he told me, the less I believed. It seemed he had been a lot
of places and had done a lot of things. According to him, he had been an
investment banker, computer programmer, Columbia River tour boat captain
and on and on. He would have had to be 104 years old to have done all
the things he said he'd done. He was not 104.

 I would feign interest occasionally by listening enough to ask a
question that would make it sound like I was listening all the time. His
stories were exciting, to the point of seeming too much like stories. It
was nice having someone else around, even if I was offended that he
thought I believed him.

 "Really? Your son is the vice president of 3M? Really?" I said during
one of my interest-feigning occasions.

"Yup. Proud of him, too. Even if he won't have anything to do with his
old man. It's my fault, though. I wasn't much of a father, ya know. 3M.
That's Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing..." he said. I had stopped
listening again.

 This went on for several hours. Wild and flamboyant stories followed
each other. We had been in bed for half an hour when he finally asked me
where I was from. I told him I was from southern Indiana, but gave no
more information than I had to. This started him on another tale.

 "Southern Indiana? I like southern Indiana. I worked on a railroad spur
in southern Indiana once. I had a little apartment over a tavern right
next to the tracks. It was funny because the tracks ran through the
courthouse lawn. What was the name of that town?" he paused as he
thought. "Spencer, I think it was. Nice town."

 "What did he say?" I thought. I leaned over and blew out my candle and
stared at the darkness for a little while. "What did he say?" I thought
again. You see, I live in an apartment over a tavern next to the tracks
in Spencer, Indiana. "Goodnight," I said.