[at-l] ORVs on the AT

Andrew Claus andrewclaus at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 18:56:02 CDT 2008

Oh no, the AT has this problem, too?  I was looking forward to a relatively conflict-free summer this year.  Darn it, I guess I was naive.  Is there a mountain bike problem, too?

The ORV problem is pretty horrible in the Mojave/Tehachapi area on the PCT.  If I were ever to hike the PCT again, I would road walk some areas rather than try to find the Trail.

I saw a post talking about disabling a machine.  That's a crime by itself, and shouldn't be considered, but it is fun to fantasize about it.  No type of law enforcement should be performed by hikers.  We don't have badges and guns.

In my opinion, the best we hikers can do is the really difficult stuff and assist in lobbying and maintenance.  If we just complain and don't do anything legal and constructive about it, we're not really helping.

There were remote areas on the CDT where I was pretty happy to see an ORV or a track.  It often made for easier walking and I thought it was nice to see someone to talk to, maybe yogi some food or water.  Not all ORVs are bad.  Lots of areas the horses did much more trail damage than ORVs, but that's a whole different story.

Garlic