[at-l] ATL Flame Wars

Sloetoe sloetoe at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 11:43:18 CDT 2008

--- JPL <jplynch at crosslink.net> wrote:

> What happened to the flame wars of old.  Have email
> lists gentrified?  Not that I miss them, but just
> curious.  The AT lists seemed particularly, but not
> uniquely, prone to them.  Just curious.

### As I read this, I was sipping on Gatorade,
pondering the southeastern US drought and the
northeastern US floods, global climate change and the
role of traveling AT hikers' automobile exhaust in
contributing to same. My cellphone rang (complicated
by the fact that I'd left it underneath my umbrella),
and when I answered, it was someone claiming a
personal emergency, and thanking their lucky stars
that the call (dialed blindly) was answered. They
asked me if my GPS was on, and if I could inform them
where they were. I quickly threw a pen at the wall map
and answered "Abbeville, South Carolina. You're way
off trail. Head west and look for the high stuff. And
don't treat your water anymore" and hung up. No call
backs. The Gatorade was orange.

sloetoe

Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!
   Pro Pondera Et Meliora.