[at-l] pondering raincoats

Ken Bennett bennettk at wfu.edu
Tue May 13 18:46:42 CDT 2008

> Take the lighter weight one that doesn't work all that well and takes
> longer to dry, or the heavier one that doesn't work all that well and
> dries in a few hours?

When? Where? Temperatures?

On our first summer section, in Georgia in June, we never took our rain
shells (Precips) out of our packs. The rain felt good, and a rain shell
would have been miserably hot. On our second summer section hike, we ended
up taking rain hats and nothing else. Worked okay.

Recently I've tried a silnylon poncho-tarp -- it was much cooler than my
Precip jacket, for about the same weight. Had better coverage, too -- kept
my pack completely dry.

I have a June section coming up in central Virginia, and I'm trying to make
the same decision. I'll probably end up with the poncho, because it has some
other versatility, but the rain hat is tempting.

In colder weather, of course, I just use the Precip jacket. Good luck, I
feel your pain.

--Ken