[at-l] Trail Days

us ploomis at triton.net
Wed May 14 18:28:42 CDT 2008

 >>>The fuel increase is a mind-set problem.  Everything goes up.  It
will never get back to where it was when I was a young man.  Then it was
$0.25 per gallon.  Wow!  Then you could go places!  But then, salaries
were lower and the price of cars were lower and life was simpler.

I remember $0.25 a gallon.  Of course I wasn't driving quite yet, I was
riding my bicycle home from the gas station with a gallon of gas for the
lawn mower hanging on the handlebars .  The prices of everything might
have been lower, but all things (for the average person) weren't
necessarily simpler.  For example, my plain Jane, basic used 1971 Impala
(which cost about the same or maybe even a little more new in 1971
dollars as a 2008 Impala) wouldn't make more than 12,000 miles without
at least new points and condenser.  Usually needed a cap and rotor too.
Plugs, plug wires, new belts all around at 24,000 miles, etc. etc.  I
drove a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan (power windows, power door locks, AC,
cruise, nice cd/radio etc.)  for 168,000 miles and never did anything
with the ignition system, never replaced the serp belt or any of the
1001 things that required constant attention on my 1971 Impala.  Never
had any sort of fall off in MPG either, it just ran and ran and ran. Oil
changes though, never missed an oil change.   I fully expect the same
results from the 08 Impala we just purchased in December.   Life back
then was just different, not more challenging ... or less, not simpler
or more complex, just different.