[at-l] Trail Days

Charles Davidson chaseat99 at gmail.com
Mon May 19 11:11:05 CDT 2008

Hi Gang,

             Back home from TD. Woodelf and I went by the Saltville
Museum yesterday but they don't open till early afternoon on Sundays. So
we just visited the outdoor exhibits that are located on the edge of
town. Big iron kettles and log facilities where brine was cooked down
into salt for home use. I would have liked to have gone in the museum
again. They had a woolly Mammoth skeleton set up in there last time I
went. The Mammoth was dug out of the salt mine. Saltville is located
just off interstate 81 between Marion and Abingdon.
    It was nice to see lots of friends in Damascus. I checked out some
tents but was disappointed the ULA pack guy wasn't there. I really
wanted to try on one of those. Maybe he will be at the Gathering. I
found a couple of more possible PCT 09 hikers. The Old Ridge Runner and
Wingheart have both been thinking about it. Oh yea another cool thing
was getting to see Gene Epsey and hear him talk about walking into
Damascus on his hike.
    Thanks to the folks that worked the booths for ATC, ALDHA and the AT
Museum too. Many thanks to Karen and Ed for their hospitality at the
Speer hammock booth. It is nice to just sit and watch the characters
walk by.

chase