[at-l] 2,000 Miler Report

grey.owl at comcast.net grey.owl at comcast.net
Tue May 27 05:07:35 CDT 2008

I am not saying that the ATJ or the ATC is screwed up.  I am saying that they have
dramatically changed their focus from hiking to conservation.  They have forgotten
that the front line conservationists are the hiking clubs that maintain the trail.  There
is a lot of pressure on the trail especially in northern Virginia and the state of
Maryland, but that is also slowly changing with the collapse of the housing market
and $4 gallon gas.  At the end of March and the first of April I was in Southwest
Utah for a week of hiking and site seeing.  Those parks and wilderness areas are also
under a lot of pressure also.  The success of these area have depended in part from
the support of state and local organization along with the people that use these areas.
So way does the ATC alienate the group most passionate about preserving the trail?

ALDHA speaks to alarge portion of the people hiking the AT.  They are not the only
organization as there are a number of web resources, but they are the ones that have a
semi-regular publication for its members and I really don't see a difficulty of them
publishing the 2,000 milers.  I was under the impression, after talking to one
individual who will remain anon, that the ATC wasthinking of phasing out the
tracking of Thru hikers (those starting and those finishing).

It is time for me to shower and get off to work so I cannot finish my thoughts.  I
would recommend that everyone dig up their old ATNs and read Robert Rubin's
editorial in the November-December 2004 issue.

Peace

Bob Grey Owl Dudley