[at-l] National Parks Tour

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 16:07:42 CST 2008

Jim and Ginny gave you a list way longer than you'll ever be able to
do in the time period you're looking at.  And they've been to many
more places than I have.

That said, I did want to add a couple of more places to the list...

If you happen to be going through northwestern New Mexico, Chaco
Culture National Historical Park was amazing.  And in eastern Arizona,
Canyon de Chelly (pronounced shay).  You'll need four wheel drive here
but there are tours available or you can rent a jeep.  You have to go
in with a native guide no matter what but it's worth it and
fascinating to have a chance to really talk with a local.

Plus I would second the Hovenweep recommendation.  It's got a bunch of
different sites all within short drives of one another and many fewer
people making it much less of a zoo-type atmosphere.  And Carlsbad,
and...  Oh yeah, and add Bandelier, and Mesa Verde and...  OK, enough
already...  I'll stop but if you end up in the southwest and want more
ideas, some of which are shorter things to do along the way, my
southwest trips ID them all... err, well, everything I did anyway.

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/NewMexico.html (only two weeks
with a description of Salt and Pepper's custom van and how we managed
vehicles)
http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/roadtrip06.html (much longer trip)

--
Visit my Travels and Trails web site at: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor