[at-l] Pit Zips---

EHamilton imagainst_the_wind at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 20:33:37 CST 2008

Guess y'all have just talked me into taking my Marmot Precip rain/wind jacket with the pit zips, instead of the lightweight nylon jacket I have, or a $5 plastic poncho, or a couple garbage bags (top and "skirt.")

It's lost its water-shedding ability somehow, though, even though I've hardly even worn it. I can get Granger's at the outfitter but... just wondering, would it ruin it to spray it with silicone spray? That worked really well on my nylon jacket (the one w/o pit zips.)

And what Leslie said about using the zips for pit-washing in cold weather.... genius!!!

MacGyver

From: Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com

I spent most of the miles all the way to Hanover in the most perfect GoreTex, pit-zipped parka shell EVER invented. I wore it sometimes from start of day to end, and it would adjust so perfectly, between the throat and the bottom zipping towards each other, and the pit zips truly VENTING my midriff -- I NEVER had to stop because I was sweating. I was identified by the Stratton Pond caretaker as a throughhiker because when, at 7:00am in the morning and me stopping to ask the time, through a tent wall he asked "You going to Maine?" huh was my reply. "Well, you're whistling in the pouring rain. Only throughhikers do that" came the reply. He hadn't even laid eyes on me. At that point, I truly knew I could make it to Maine.

Yeah, pit zips rock. And I still have that shell. Use it regularly. Needs to be sealed. Almost froze me heading over Mt. Rogers overnight in sleet that one year at Trail Days..... 'member that one? Cold.

Nutballtoe