[at-l] Where were you?

Jan Lite liteshoe at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 13:31:58 CST 2008

Funny how that burns in your brain.

Was in fourth grade (Clyde, I think you must have been too, buddy!) at Holy
Cross Grade School. We were just reassembling in the classroom after lunch.
My classmate Mark Kunminch ran in shouting "Candy Pippia's been shot!" I was
afraid - I didn't much like Candy Pippia, but I sure didn't want her to be
shot. Then I learned it wasn't Candy Pippia at all, it was President
Kenndedy.

We also watched TV coverage for awhile, on a TV that rolled in. I'm sure we
prayed. Our teacher (not a nun) cried. Because we were scared and confused,
we did too. I had once stood in the crowd with my Republican parents on
Wisconsin Avenue to see the new young president's open-top motorcade roll
down the streets of Milwaukee in an earlier, simpler time.

PS I also wanted to be an alter boy, and knew all the prayers, but they
never let me.
That gender thing.
But by god, I went hiking!

Subject: Re: [at-l] Where were you?

>I was sitting in my 6th grade classroom in St. Pierre's, the French school
in
Waltham, MA. The nun, Sister Chiasson, was called out of the room for a
while,
returned with a TV set on wheels for us to watch the news together. We
prayed a
little while, I think, and then they let us out early.

>Reading the list of comments this morning it seems that quite a few of us
attended church oriented school for at least a while. Mine ended at 8th
grade
but I was altar boy, eraser cleaner, blackboard wiper, classroom sweeper,
etc.
>In short I bought the messages hook, line and sinker! Perhaps that's why I
hike?
(although right this minute I can't formulate a theory that connects the
two...,
Felix?) --RockDancer

--
"The Ordinary Adventurer"