[at-l] Where were you?

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Mon Nov 24 15:45:33 CST 2008

I was home from high school, eating lunch.? (My high school didn't have a cafeteria; we walked home, ate lunch, and walked back (about 6 blocks).? My Mom always watched "As the World Turns," and it was on the TV.? Of course, I was late leaving the house after lunch, and the announcer broke into the soap opera to announce that the President had been shot.? I watched for a couple of minutes, then walked back to school.

Everyone standing outside Cairo High, waiting for the bell to ring to go in, was buzzing with the news.? We were all in shock.? After classes started, someone came around to each classroom and made an announcement that President Kennedy had died.? (The school didn't have a PA system either.)? The teachers were in shock too.? I don't think we studied much that afternoon.

Joan
bluetrail at aol.com

Subject: Re: [at-l] Where were you?

I was teaching a basic Algebra class to a group of very young 7th graders when the principal made the announcement over the school intercom system.? A boy in the back of the room not understanding the situation stood up, posed like he had a machine gun in his hands and made machine gun noises with his mouth.? The rest of my world was in shock.

I was in school studying basic Algebra and my math teacher lost it after the school nurse came to our room and told her something.? We students didn't know why until the principle came to our class (after a concerned student went to the office) and he told us what had happened.?

Within minutes sobbing parents were showing up and taking their children out of school.? The entire mood of the country was similar to 9/11.?

This was also my little brother's 6th birthday.? His party that afternoon was weird as all of the mothers were crying and the kids just couldn't understand why.? The cartoons the kids would normally have watched were replaced by footage of the president being shot over and over - and commentary by newscasters.? It was the first time I remembered all three news channels having suspended all programming non-stop for days.

School was let out on the day of JFK's funeral and we had to watch it as part of our history homework.? I was struck by all the pomp and ceremony and felt sorry for the Kennedy children who were far too young to understand what was going on.

Renee - She-Dino

Felix J wrote:

On the 35th anniversary of Jackie Kennedy becoming a widow, (should that
comma be there, Sly?) my posse (which was me, Sundown, Lucky Luke and
Calamity Jane)? hiked from Wilson Creek Shelter to
Cloverdale/Troutville.? And, we did that 12 miles before noon. That
shows how inspiring someone-else-prepared food can be. This was the day
that would have two of the funniest things that would happen on the
entire journey. They weren't necessarily funny, perhaps. But, they
caused the most lafter.

One of the highlights of this day was that Woodelf picked me and the
crew up and drove us about Roanoke for, amongst other things, new socks.
I believe I proposed to at least two women/girls while sock shopping.
(One declined...one still pending)? As always, it was really, really
nice seeing Woodelf....

?

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman