[at-l] Winter Hiking

Ken Bennett bennettk at wfu.edu
Fri Oct 3 09:54:21 CDT 2008

2008/10/3 Georgiamountainwoman <gamountainwoman at yahoo.com>

> Has anybody ever hiked the Appalachian Trail in the winter, starting like
> at Springer around the end of October and headed north to Katahdin to get
> there around the end of May ?  Would this even be possible ?  Are the trails
> maintained in the winter ?  Would doing this, in this time frame, allow you
> to miss the black fly season up north ?

Hi, Louise,

Is it possible? Sure. Hiking in the South in November and December is great.
It can be chilly and dark, of course, but it's my favorite time of year.

Hiking in the middle Atlantic in January and February should be okay. It'll
be cold, and you might need snowshoes depending on how much precip they get.
But it's lower elevation, which will help.

My feeling is the hard part of this hike would be New England in March and
April, and Maine in May. March in Vermont and New Hampshire is not to be
trifled with. But our New England experts would have to weigh in with their
experiences -- I'm strictly a Southern hiker guy, so far.

--Ken