[at-l] Minor computer help...

Frank Looper nightwalker.at at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 10:41:00 CDT 2008

2008/10/4 Mark Hudson <mvhudson at gmail.com>
Hey, I'm working on editing a DVD (for my parents 50th anniversary), and I
need to collaborate with my siblings on which pics to edit out.
We all have copies of the pics, so is there an easy way to copy a list of
pics simply as the title of each pic?
(ie, I want to copy the XXXX.jpg tiltle, not have the computer think I'm
trying to copy the picture itself)

skeeter
Open a command prompt, navigate to the directory where the pictures are,
type "dir /b *.jpg > picslist.txt" (without the quotes, duh), hit enter.
You've got a text list of the pics, one per line.
dir means to make a directory list. /b means use bare format. *.jpg is the
filter of the files you want listed. > picslist.txt means that you're
sending the list to a file called picslist.txt. The file will be in the same
directory as the pics.

There are two ways to get the command prompt to the directory where you want
it to go.
1. click the start button, click run, type cmd in the run box, type cd \ and
hit enter in cmd.exe once it opens, then type cd , a double quote (") the
directory where you want to go, another double quote, hit enter. That's the
hard way.

2. Go HERE<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx>for
Win XP and download the power toy called "command prompt here." Once
you
install it, you can right-click on any directory and select "command prompt
here." That's what I do. For Vista, you already have it installed. Just hold
down the shift key while right clicking on any directory and select "command
prompt here."

This all sounds complicated. It isn't if you just do it one thing at a time!

FrankenGeeker the NightHacker