[at-l] Hygiene on the Trail

Frank Looper nightwalker.at at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 14:31:02 CDT 2008

2008/10/4 Georgiamountainwoman <gamountainwoman at yahoo.com>:

> You can rinse them in a stream, but the fishies and microbes really, really
> don't like soap, Even Dr. Bronner's.OK, SO WHY EVEN BRING SOAP ON THE TRAIL
> IF YOU CAN'T USE IT, EVEN TO WASH UP ?

You can take water away from the stream to wash with. But in answer to
your question, duct-tape, coaches tape, band-aids, etc. will never,
ever stick to any part of your body that isn't clean and dry. And
sometimes, I really, really want to wash the big four if it's been a
few days.

> Rinsing will take out the salt crystals that irritate your skin, along with
> some of the smell. They'll still smell slightly stale until washed in town,
> but they won't knock people over anymore.DO YOU WEAR ANTI-PERSPIRANT ON THE
> TRAIL ?  IF NOT, DOES EVERYBODY JUST GO EL STINKO ?

Everybody stinks. Day hikers either smell gross or yummy, according to
your preferences.

> Do your back a favor and don't get crazy with lots of spares. You can wear
> your base layer or rain gear while rinsing out your clothes.RINSE ?  DOWN
> HERE IN THE SOUTH, THERE IS NOT MANY FREE FLOWING STREAMS TO RINSE ANYTHING,  LET ALONE REPLENISH YOUR WATER SUPPLY.  WE ARE GOING THROUGH A VERY SEVERE DROUGHT HERE IN GEORGIA.
> Wring them out well, and according to the weather, dry them by hanging them on a branch or
> by bringing them in your sleeping bag with you.DOESN'T THAT GET YOUR
> SLEEPING BAG ALL WET ?  IS SLEEPING IN A WET SLEEPING BAG NOT ALL THAT BAD ?

No, it doesn't get your bag wet. Whether sleeping in a wet bag is bad
or not depends on wind and temps and what you're wearing.

> On a similar note, you can also dry your wet sleeping bag by wearing all of
> your clothes inside it while sleeping in it a couple of nights. I got a down
> bag SOAKED in Maine a few years ago, but dried it completely over two nights
> by doing that. SLEEPING IN A WET SLEEPING BAG WILL DRY IT INSIDE AND OUT ?
> HMMMM, INTERESTING

Worked for me.

> Back to the spares thing. My entire spare clothes inventory is one extra
> pair of socks. You'll be shocked when you weigh an extra set of clothes, two
> extra undies, etc. You really don't need them. Really
> WOW, WEARING A PAIR OF SOCKS MORE THAN TWO DAYS CAN REALLY BECOME QUITE STINKY.  BUT I AGREE WITH YOU WITH THE WEIGHT THING.  MY KATADYN COMBI WATER FILTER ALONE IS HEAVY ENOUGH AS IT IS !

Bridgedale Trekkers get stiff long before they stink. They also don't
usually wear out during a thru of miles. If they do, most outfitters
will swap for new. Plus, the rinsing and squeezing a few times works
for socks as good as it does clothes. Wearibng too much salt will
REALLY rub you raw.