[at-l] Hygiene on the Trail

Mark Hudson mvhudson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 17:41:31 CDT 2008

As far as your hair goes, I did see a product that purported to be a
waterless hair wash (I think it was some kind of gel). Unfortunately this
was a while ago and I can't tell you what the name of it was. But I can't
imagine carrying the extra weight. (I believe that it was originally
developed for astronauts - they weren't carrying it up hills)

You'll hit town every 4-5 days, and a shower will be one of the first things
on your list. I would say deal with it then. It will get to the point on a
thru-hike that even when you've washed yourself and all your clothing in
town you'll smell like a thru-hiker because all the odors become embedded in
your gear. You'll get used to it... it's amazing what you can get used to
<g>
I have carried Gold Bond powder, originally in an attempt to treat sweat
generated heat rash caused by the hip belt and pack straps. I find it also
works pretty well in your socks and boots, and when things get really ripe,
in my arm pits. If you look in your drugstore you may find "travel" size 1oz
containers.

skeeter