[at-l] How much $ does it take to hike the AT ?

Georgiamountainwoman gamountainwoman at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 11 14:01:03 CDT 2008

WOW !  I was overwhelmed by all the response from all of you on how to keep clean while hiking the trail, and appreciate all your input and comments.  I think the best idea yet was washing clothes in a gallon zip lock bag.  But one thing I noticed the most, was all of you were saying go into town to do this and that.  Well, that could become quite expensive as often as you were recommending.  So my next question is, how much money does one need, minimum, before even thinking of starting out on the trail ?  I'd hate to start and have to not finish my journey, just because I ran out of funds.  If one were not to go into town much to eat, but got their food mostly from mail drops and grocery stores along the way, how much you reckon it would take ?  Also, do most of you carry cash, or debit card ?  Credit card for me would be out of the question as I am trying to avoid debt at all cost.  And then, that brings up another question, if one was to
 carry all those funds, how safe is the trail from a hiker being robbed of all their funds?