[at-l] Used Maps

Art MacAilein macailein at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 17:55:08 CDT 2008

Frank Looper wrote a lot of good info on GPS.

Wow, thanks, Frank.

I got to thinking about GPS lately when I found someone's geocache in
the local park. Might be a fun hobby. Also as you say finding things in
unfamiliar towns. I've never been lost in the woods but I've been lost
in many a town and city.

I probably wouldn't carry it on a thru of the AT. To a great extent the
unexpected adventures are part of the appeal. However, I say that having
never tried one and need to give it a go to be sure. I've met a lot of
guys who were hooked first time they picked one up. I would like it for
traveling and for hiking unfamiliar areas here in Kentucky, like Daniel
Boon National Forest.

I often carry a compass and will probably carry one on the AT, necessary
or not.

I appreciate geekedness as much as the next guy and more than some. But
sadly my geek skills are somewhat limited.

Art