[at-l] Cost to hike the AT

Andrew Claus andrewclaus at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 11 23:04:47 CDT 2008

Pickle and I thru hiked this year for about $3500 each and we weren't trying to go cheap.  We ate very well in towns.  We shared moted rooms and that helped.  This was less than I expected to spend by about $500, so I was pleased.  One reason for the lower-than-expected cost, I think, was a faster-than-expected pace.  And we never got sick or injured and only took three zero days and those were at friends' houses.  So we got off cheap.

We only had problems with credit cards being accepted in a few towns in New York, for some reason.

I carried $200 in cash in case there was a problem with the credit card, and I'm glad I did for those few days in NY.  And there was one nice motel in Dalton, MA, where the computer was down in a lightning storm and they let us have a $90 room for $50 cash.  Otherwise, I very seldom used cash.

Garlic