[at-l] Used Maps

Pat krozby at zoominternet.net
Mon Oct 13 10:24:57 CDT 2008

>>> ... So I don't know how I'd react
>>> getting lost on the AT. Granted I don't plan to do a lot of wondering
>>
>> If you are 'on the AT' (still see white blazes) you can't be lost. If
>> you're really disoriented pick a direction and start walking, or just
>> stop and wait. Someone will pass by who can point out the correct
>> direction.
>
> That can take a while, at times.  I went a couple of days without
> meeting another hiker when I hiked in September.

I managed to get lost just south of Rockfish Gap, I was following white
blazes but found out the trail had been rerouted. I wound up in a housing
developement then I bushwacked in the direction I thought the trail would be
and came out on a road during a thunderstorm. Some guy familiar with AT
hikers stopped and gave me a ride to Rusty's. Next morning Rusty gave me a
ride back to the trail and dropped me off a couple hundred feet from where
Id come out of the woods, I came out at the bottom of a hill the trail was
at the top.

Pat