[at-l] Sort of Trail Related Question---

Art Cloutman Art at crystalacresnh.com
Wed Oct 15 12:56:05 CDT 2008

Peak color is when the largest number of trees have most recently
turned from green to their most vibrant fall color.  It is a very
subjective determination.  There is no one authority to make that
declaration.  And to top it off, different areas peak at different
times.  Some areas to our south peaked about a week before the lakes
region of NH peaked.  The Lakes region is at peak right now according
to the local weather service and tourist information centers.  Often
predictions of peak foliage coincide with an upcoming weekend or
holiday to attract leaf peepers.  Fall foliage observers constitute
the largest influx of money to the local economy during the shortest
period of time.

Usually lots of red and orange as apposed to a predominance of
yellows and browns is considered peak.  Once we get to yellows and
browns which I consider very beautiful we are past peak.

One of the things I love about fall foliage is how well defined the
evergreens appear on mountainsides and valleys because they have the
reds, yellows, oranges and greens to backdrop each tree.  This fall
has been the best for fall color that I have experienced since I
retired and moved to NH year round.  Think I better go for another
walk it is so amazing.

Art

>When the fall color is described as being at "peak", just what
>exactly does that mean?  Does someone balance the colored leaves
>against the green, the amount of color before it all falls off,
>what?  Who decides when peak is?  Couldn't this week be declared as
>being peak color, then next week might be prettier?  We in the lower
>states aren't quite as In the Know as you New Englanders.  We're
>having an awfully pretty season, though.  a'bear

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman