[at-l] My Dream and Situation

Georgiamountainwoman gamountainwoman at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 13:13:12 CDT 2008

Thank you again to all who commented on questions I had regarding hygiene and how much it cost to hike the trail.  I appreciate the willingness of everyone to contribute helpful information.  Wow, I honestly didn't know it took THAT much to do the whole trail !  I've had people tell me who have hiked it in in 1979 and 1989 and even in 1996 that it cost them around $2000, but I realize also this is now 2008.

I'm a single mom of a 19 year old who has flown the nest, and don't have gobs of money like you all seem to have.  Thats why all my questions.  This is something I have been wanting to do my entire life, and now that my son is on his own, I've got the time.  Problem is, I work at a Real Estate company part time as a secretary/receptionist and sell Avon, and pretty much live from hand to mouth. I'm stuck out in the mountains without a car, and have no transportation except my two feet.  Luckily I can walk to work and sell Avon to the few neighbors who live tucked away here and there in these mountains.  I live only 17 miles from Springer via automobile, and 35 trail miles to Springer.  So getting there is not a problem for me.  Its financing it thats going to be a problem.

I'm turning 50 next Wednesday, on the 22nd, and wanted so bad to hike it this spring so I could work on becoming healthier and looking fabulous at 50, but it just didn't work out.  Gonna strive again to hike it this COMING spring, to achieve the same goal before turning 51.  Do ya'll know where I could get some sponsers that would help finance my trip, like paying 1 penny per mile or something like that ?  And if I didn't get the whole trail done, pay them back for what I didn't hike ?

Has anybody ever financed their trip like that ?  Or is everybody in here rich and have high paying jobs, and have been able to save for quite awhile to be able to do it ?  What does everybody in here do for a living anyway ?  And where does everyone live ?

Caterfly